Re: Light-weight GNUstep distribution

From: Willem Rein Oudshoorn
Subject: Re: Light-weight GNUstep distribution
Date: 08 Mar 2003 11:34:52 +0100

Jan Vrany <JanFrog@skaut.cz> writes:

> But I'm not a GNUstep expert, so my question is:
>
> Is possible to make light-weight GNUstep distribution that
> contains only what I really needs in several files, is possible
> to run single GNUstep application without gdomap, gpbs and so
> on?

Depends on what you mean with light-weight.
For GUI applications etcetera I do not thinkt it is worthwhile
living without gdomap and gpbs.  However, it is possible to
make a distribution that will ship:

* only the relevant dll's
* gdomap, gpbs
* a few supporting files (mainly charset data and timezone data)

Martin Brecher already gave you an estimation of the sizes
(the rest will not add significantly)

A bigger problem is the fact that `back' is not
quite there yet on windows.

But on the bright side, there are no problems
with base working on windows.

Wim Oudshoorn.