Re: 2 Questions

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: 2 Questions
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 19:56:31 +0100

On 26.02.2003 19:01:13 Travis Griggs wrote:
>one specific, the other general
>
>1) I have just installed GNUstep components (running on Debian testing).
>I am now trying to work through some of the tutorials found under the
>Documentation link off of gnustep.org. I've made it up to the "Writing
>GNUstep Makefiles">>"A first App" section. I am unable to run the
>program though. I'm gettings lots of
>
>2003-02-26 09:47:29.697 PanelTest[21514] File NSDictionary.m: 504. In
>[GSMutableDictionary -initWithContentsOfFile:] Contents of file
>'/home/travis/GNUstep/Defaults/.GNUstepDefaults' does not contain a
>dictionary
>
>I had the same when I did the LogTest in 'A first Tool'. Wait! It did
>finally open a little dialog. But it still doesn't seem right to have
>seen multiple pages of warning at open time and to have waited 8 seconds
>to open up on an 800 Duron.
>
>2) This is my first post to this list. I think this is the place I want
>to be. I am a long time Smalltalker. More and more lately, I do
>dedicated processing (soft real time embedded) in C. Of course as a
>Smalltalker, I miss being able to do object-ish things in C sometimes.
>And after having been drug through heavy duty C++ indoctrination for the
>last year including the STL, our own templates, Boost, etc, I am 100%
>convinced that there has got to be a better alternative. I've played
>with writing little objective-c programs a couple months back, using
>both gcc-objc and POC. But, as with Smalltalk, I quickly found I wanted
>a base object library. If I understand correctly, GNUstep is that. But
>one of the things that confuses me is that it is also a Desktop
>environment? I don't really want that.

Gnustep is not monolitic but made out of several parts:

- make: easy to use makefile package, can even used without using ObjC
- base: non GUI base classes implement OpenStep foundation classes
- gui: GUI classes implement OpenStep Appkit classes
- back: the backend for the GUI

You want make and base for your projects, but having gui and back on your
development machine is also not bad since you'll get access to
ProjectCenter, a graphical IDE.

>I'm targetting boxes that don't
>have monitors. Can I use the non-graphical class library without the
>rest (without heinous incantations). I think from the little tutorials
>I've done so far, the answer is yes, and that I want to build "tools",
>not "Apps".

You are right here.

>Any hints/tips/help much appreciated.

documentation is at
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Cocoa/Reference/Foundation/ObjC_classic/index.html

(Apple bought NeXT, the inventor of OpenStep, several years ago).

>(and thanks to Marcel Weiher for clue-ing me into this list)

greetings, Lars