Re: GNUSTEP/linux

From: Tim Harrison
Subject: Re: GNUSTEP/linux
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 10:17:28 -0500

MJ Ray wrote:

Why is LSPM not based on the Encap format?  (nb, not the Encap programs,
just the format)

(To use a horribly unrelated analogy...) Why does Ford not make Chryslers? They're two different systems.

Why are RPMs not based on .deb packages? Why doesn't FreeBSD use System V style init? Different systems, different designs.

Why doesn't Encap use the lsp format? ;)

I, personally, don't like Encap. I'd rather take the complexity out of the system, than hide it with more complexity (and I think Eric would agree with me there, considering he built LSPM :)). Managing massive amounts of symlinks is overly complex, in my opinion, and just adds another layer of potential for problems.

--

Tim Harrison
tim@linuxstep.org