Re: GNUSTEP/linux

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: GNUSTEP/linux
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 21:53:58 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Philippe C.D.Robert wrote:
> On Friday, February 7, 2003, at 06:07  Uhr, BALATON Zoltan wrote:
> > You could probably safely assume that the user can write to /etc if she
> > can install rpm packages. You could simply put GNUstep.sh in
> > /etc/profile.d and it will be sourced when a user logs in. I'm not sure
> > if this also works on SuSE but it should work on at least
> > RedHat/Mandrake.
[...]
> What I meant with my posting is that many users are not able/do not
> want to mess with stuff like /etc/profile although they have the rights
> to do so, while they of course can use gnorpm or any other RPM tool if
> not perform "rpm -Uvh bla.rpm".

No need to mess with /etc/profile. On recent RedHat and Mandrake and also
on SuSE scripts packages put in the /etc/profile.d/ directory will be
sourced by the default /etc/profile script. So simply making an rpm that
puts GNUstep.sh in /etc/profile.d/ should work on most rpm based
distributions.

> But the issue is a more fundamental one, since - as you say - this
> works differently on different systems. So if it can be done in a more
> elegant and transparent way then we should IMHO try hard to make this
> happen. Even if it is just a post installation script which adds the
> appropriate command to the appropriate file.

I agree that if there is a more elegant way to do it we should go for
that but in this specific case I don't see a big problem. It may be a
problem for non rpm based distributions or different operating systems
however.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan