Re: GNUSTEP/linux

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: GNUSTEP/linux
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 12:29:21 +0100

MJ Ray wrote:
I always thought that if you do not touch system specific stuff you can use
the same RPM at least on RH, SuSE and Mandrake?

Different RPM versions, different files in different packages used for
dependency declarations, different "right" installation helpers.  At least
SuSE vs RH+Mandrake has been a split in the past, as has one version of RH
against a later one.

AFAIK RPM is only downwards compatible, not upwards. Packages build on SuSE 6.2 work on any RPM based Linux that that we have encountered (definitly on RedHat and Mandrake which we test "officially").

If you build the pkgs using RPM 4.x on RedHat they probably won't run on RPM 3.x on SuSE ..., but the reverse will be true.

BTW, just checked:
SuSE 6.2: RPM version 3.0.3
SuSE 7.2: RPM version 3.0.6
SuSE 8.1: RPM version 3.0.6

Greetings
  Helge
Helge Hess                         Email:    helge.hess@skyrix.com
SKYRIX Software AG                 Tel:      +49-391-6623-0
Universitaetsplatz 12              Fax:      +49-391-6623-599
39104 Magdeburg, Germany           Internet: http://www.skyrix.com
Visit us at ThinkAboutIT 2003-02-06  http://www.thinkabout-it.org/