suggestion [was: Re: GNUSTEP/linux]

From: Martin Brecher
Subject: suggestion [was: Re: GNUSTEP/linux]
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 15:14:31 +0100

Stefan Urbanek wrote:
I am not sure if this is real, but this can be nice. GNUstep projects are mainly bundles. What about having a small set of debs or rpms for installing the very base system and then tar.gz-ed bundles of binaries? This can show one of advantages of GNUstep environment: to install an app/framework/bundle, you just drang and drop ito appropriate place and to unsinstall you just throw it into rubbish.

Bundle directories are already very nice. But couldn't this be expanded to have one-file bundles like MyApp.app.zip, MyLoadableBundle.bundle.zip, MyWindow.gorm.zip?

This would allow to _really_ easily export bundles on the web or per email or the like. "Hey, just drop my app [.app.zip] into your Applications folder and you're ready to go."

Users won't even have to extract them first. Otherwise FreeTar.app would be a Chicken and Egg problem for gui-only users. ;-)

OpenOffice uses zipped folders for its documents I find that quite nice.

I guess it won't work for frameworks which are needed at compile time, though.

Greetings,
Martin