Build latest gnustep on Windows

From: Paul Butcher
Subject: Build latest gnustep on Windows
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 16:45:55 +0000

I have recently succeeded in a build of GNUstep 1.5.1 (with gui 0.8.3) on
Windows using mingw/msys but had a number of issues arise which aren't dealt
with in the MinGW README provided. I thought would be useful to get corrected
in the code base (if they haven't been already):

GNUstep-make 1.5.1:
------------------
Makefiles/GNUstep.sh:
problem with mixture of Windows and msys/UNIX style paths
I added: GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT=`$GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES/fixpath.sh -u"
$GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT"`
to convert Windows style output of 'user_home' tool to msys/UNIX style

GNUstep-base 1.5.1
------------------
Source/libgnustep-base.def:
as well as change to __objc_class_name_NSConstantString
noted in README.MinGW, the following symbols from Additions subproject are
missing and  cause later link errors:

__objc_class_name_GCObject
__objc_class_name_GCArray
__objc_class_name_GCMutableArray
__objc_class_name_GCDictionary
__objc_class_name_GCMutableDictionary
GetAvailableEncodings
GetDefEncoding
GSEncodingFromLocale
GSEncodingForRegistry
GetEncodingName
chartouni
unitochar
encode_chartouni
encode_unitochar
encode_unitochar_strict
uni_tolower
uni_toupper
uni_cop
uni_isnonsp
uni_is_decomp
GSFromUnicode
GSToUnicode

GNUstep-gui 0.8.3
-----------------
ColorPickers/GNUmakefile:
added following as otherwise won't link before libgnustep-gui.dll is actually
installed:
# Additional library directories the linker should search
ADDITIONAL_LIB_DIRS += -L../Source/$(GNUSTEP_OBJ_DIR)
-L../Model/$(GNUSTEP_OBJ_DIR)

GNUstep-back 0.8.3
No issues!

Finally some observations on running the GNUstep-examples 0.9.7:
1. Title bars flicker
2. Minimised icons in win32 frames have a frame title bar!

Paul Butcher
Alton, Hants, UK