Re: Menu (Was: Re: Unimplemented AppKit classes)

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: Menu (Was: Re: Unimplemented AppKit classes)
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 12:19:46 +0100

Stefan Urbanek wrote:
[snip]
> How difficult it should be to change gui that way,
> that we can have 'NSMenu' bundles with custom menu
> interface, so developers can create and user can chose
> what they like? Can something like that be achieved by
> using NSInterface functions? (loading of interface bundles)

There is an interface for this. The patch (and a silly example) is here:
http://w1.423.telia.com/~u42308495/alex/sillytheme-0.0.tar.gz

Basically, you override whatever you need to override in a bundle and
set the defaults key GUIThemeBundles to the bundle(s) you want to load.
Some examples can be seen at http://www.roard.com/screenshots/ , and
there was a 'theme' for application-specific log files posted here a
while back.

(IMO) this is how gui customization should be done. -gui should come
with _one_ good, consistent interface (based on NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP), and
those who want something to be different load bundles.

AFAIK, nobody has written a theme bundle for a horizontal menu, but it
could certainly be done.

- Alexander Malmberg