Menu (Was: Re: Unimplemented AppKit classes)

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Menu (Was: Re: Unimplemented AppKit classes)
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 20:02:55 +0100

On 2003-01-22 19:28:08 +0100 Tobias <ibotty@web.de> wrote:
(snipped)

That's what status items are for -- to show
application or system-service status, or to provide interactivity when
another program is being run. That they can be (ab)used to do other things
is not Apple's problem.
i see your point.
but some great things can be done with status items, that have nothing to do
with status.
nevertheless i think you are right, and we have to abandon this idea anyway due
to a lack of a central menubar.

I prefer menu-bar to nextish menu (this preference comes from my Atari ST
days). It takes less space. As far as i remember, there were some
attemts(patches) to create a menu bar in gnustep-gui.

What do you think about a menubar like this:
   http://amiga.emugaming.com/concept/mockup.jpg
Status bar can be same, but from another side, or from the bottom right
corner...

How difficult it should be to change gui that way, that we can have 'NSMenu'
bundles with custom menu interface, so developers can create and user can chose
what they like? Can something like that be achieved by using NSInterface
functions? (loading of interface bundles)

Stefan