Re: Canonical Framework Makefiles?

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: Canonical Framework Makefiles?
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 05:47:26 -0500

Marcel Weiher wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> sorry to bring up the evil "F" topic again ;-)
>
> I am co-authoring an Objective-C book with Christian Brunschen, and we
> have decided, together with our editor, that we want it to be an
> Objective-C book, not an Apple book, which means we certainly want to
> give GNUstep fair time (see the O'Reilly Objective-C pocket reference,
> though I am not connected with that).
>
> Even though I've been working with GNUstep a bit (see my porting
> efforts), I am far from being an expert, and so would really appreciate
> help from the experts on this list.
>
> Currently, I am writing on frameworks, and would like to be able to
> provide a "canonical" example of a GNUstep framework makefile.  All the
> makefiles I have seen are for libraries, and I am pretty sure that my
> attempt to turn that into a working framework makefile woul yield
> something that's rather, er, sub-optimal, even if I get it to work.
>
> So:  what would a canonical framework GNUmakefile?  What are likely
> options?

Something like this would work: (the makefile for a port of SMySQL to
GNUstep, which works just fine)

--->8--snip-here--8<---

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make

FRAMEWORK_NAME=         SMySQL

SMySQL_HEADER_FILES= \
        SMySQL.h \
        SMySQLConnection.h \
        SMySQLResult.h

SMySQL_OBJC_FILES= \
        SMySQLConnection.m \
        SMySQLResult.m

SMySQL_CURRENT_VERSION_NAME=0.7.0r1-GS
SMySQL_DEPLOY_WITH_CURRENT_VERSION=yes

-include GNUmakefile.preamble
-include GNUmakefile.local

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/aggregate.make
include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/framework.make

-include GNUmakefile.postamble

--->8--snip-here--8<---