RE: Package management (was Re: GNUstep repository)

From: Vaisburd, Haim
Subject: RE: Package management (was Re: GNUstep repository)
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 13:25:20 -0800

Hi Tim,

> From: Tim Harrison [mailto:tim@linuxstep.org]
>
> We'll see if we can
> fix that, and post more accurate info on LSPM on the
> developer.linuxstep.org website.

I'd be second to ask that :-) I'm very interested in your work.

Also,

> Our initial problem was the FHS.  We
> didn't necessarily believe it was the best way to go.

Can you elaborate a little bit on that?
I myself believe that packages (e.g. GNUstep, kde) should be installed into
/opt,
X11R6 does not belong to /usr (it probably belongs to root for the most
systems, but then some other stuff like perl should be moved to root),
and tired to see the mess in /etc.

But it looks like you see more fundamental problems.

Tima.