Re: Renaissance menus on OS X ?

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Renaissance menus on OS X ?
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 00:15:54 +0000 (GMT)

> > I really need to document this.  You need to set the 'halign' flag of the
> > views in the vbox to 'wexpand' (I guess -- maybe, possibly, 'expand' is
> > right instead -- the difference is minimal).
>
> The wexpand works fine for me _ I did take a rummage through the source
> code to find options, but missed this :-) Would I be right in thinking
> that a proportionate box simply sets the wexpand flag automaticly on its
> contained views in an appropriate direction ?

Yes :-)

Proportionate boxes also keep the proportions, which standard boxes don't,
but yes, they also basically do convert all flags (except 'expand') into
'wexpand' in their direction.

> > Would that be enough for you ?  It means you could replace any object with
> > an object of a subclass.
>
> That would do fine.

Ok.  I'll implement that as soon as I'm sure what attribute name to use
:-)

> > Thanks - it's excellent to have such feedback, as that helps directly in
> > making a better product! :-)
>
> Its a great thing, one of the best additions to GNustep I've ever
> seen. You might want to try targetting it at the OSX developer community
> as well if possible.

Yes ... if OSX developers were using it instead of .nibs, then their apps
would be very easily portable to GNUstep.  Which we definitely wouldn't
mind :-)

> I found what I think is a bug by the way... put some text in as a <lable>
> and double click on iit. You get :
>
> Uncaught exception NSRangeException, reason: RangeError in method
> -attribute:atIndex:longestEffectiveRange:inRange: in class
> NSAttributedString

This is a bug in gnustep-gui.

> My only other comment would be that removing the LaTeX bit from the build

Thanks - I did that, it's no longer built by default.