Re: "multiple inheritence" / behavior

From: Philip Mötteli
Subject: Re: "multiple inheritence" / behavior
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 14:38:00 +0100

Am Montag, 18.11.02, um 12:25 Uhr (Europe/Zurich) schrieb Richard Frith-Macdonald:
On Monday, November 18, 2002, at 10:54  am, David Ayers wrote:
Alexander Malmberg wrote:
IMO, behaviors is (yet another :) useful and neat feature objective-c
gives us. It is perhaps a bit too advanced for us to plug extensively, but the header should be installed (or moved to libobjc and installed by
it instead?), although I think the warnings should remain there.

I'd like to second this motion...

I noticed that we seem to have two versions of behavior.m active at the moment.
core/base/Source/behavior.m
dev-libs/extensions/extensions/behabior.m
and the seem rather different.

The extensions library is (unless things have changed) not an official part of GNUstep ...

In my eyes it's not a good thing to add that officially to the base library. We wouldn't be compatibel to the original. There's no behaviour in OpenStep, nor in the Foundations of Mac OS X. Apart from that, I do like the feature, but I would prefer, putting it in a separate library, that should itself be as much based on the foundations. That way we just have to make minor tweaks in order to use it on other platforms. Already now, the extensions library doesn't compile with the original Foundations.

the code has never been contributed to the FSF as far as I know, and has neve been supported as part of GNUstep. I've spent a chunk of the weekend going through the gdl2 code to remove any dependencies on the extensions library and might get round to providing a patch to do that soon

For me, that's a great idea, because the whole extensions thing makes Gnustep based non portable to the original. And that would be, apart from the fact, that we wouldn't have an original any more, narrow our market dramatically! Just imagine the whole Mac OS X programmers working together to complete GDL2, e. g. eointerface and EOModeller...

Phil