Re: Compilation errors on SuSE 8.0

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Compilation errors on SuSE 8.0
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 16:55:54 +0000 (GMT)

> Hello everyone,
> SuSE comes with WindowMaker but not any of the GNUstep libraries (doesn't
> even install Objective-C with GCC by default). I'm trying to compile a
> system from scratch, which may be a problem I guess as the WindowMaker stuff
> may be be using some existing libraries. Can anyone help me with a build
> issue, or does anyone have any binary rpms?
>
> Anyway, here is the list of activities so far, note that the ffcall library
> failed but I couldn't see any dependencies in LaunchPad so I carried on
> without it. My problem is in gnustep-base:
>
> 1) SuSE Installed GCC 2.95.3
> 2) downloaded gnustep-make-1.4.0
>       # ./configure
>       # make install
>       # . /usr/local/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh
> 3) downloaded ffcall-1.8d
>       # ./configure
>       # make install
>               => failed, libtool error
> 4) Installed gobjc-2.95.3-216 from SuSE disks, SuSE does not by default
> 5) downloaded gnustep-objc-1.2.2.tar
>       # make install
>       # set make shared=no
>       # cp static/.../libobjc_s.a /usr/lib/gcc.../libobjc.a
> 6) downloaded gnustep-base-1.4.1
>       # ./configure
>       # make install
>               => failed.... Here is the config.log

Try doing again step 2), then go back to step 6).

When you configured gnustep-make (step 2), the Objective-C library was not
installed yet.  Possibly, gnustep-make couldn't detect the objc flags
properly because ot this.

> configure:6363: checking whether objc really works
> configure:6385: gcc -o conftest -g -O2  -fgnu-runtime
> -I/usr/GNUstep/System/Headers -x objective-c
> -L/usr/GNUstep/System/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu
> -L/usr/GNUstep/System/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu conftest.c  -lobjc     >&5
> In file included from configure:6380:
> config/config.objc.m:5: warning: incomplete implementation of class
> `NXConstantString'
> config/config.objc.m:5: warning: method definition for `-length' not found
> config/config.objc.m:5: warning: method definition for `-cString' not found
> /usr/i486-suse-linux/bin/ld: warning: type and size of dynamic symbol
> `__objc_class_name_Object' are not defined
> /usr/GNUstep/System/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu/libobjc.so: undefined reference
> to `pthread_create'
> /usr/GNUstep/System/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu/libobjc.so: undefined reference
> to `pthread_getspecific'
> /usr/GNUstep/System/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu/libobjc.so: undefined reference
> to `pthread_key_delete'
> /usr/GNUstep/System/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu/libobjc.so: undefined reference
> to `pthread_key_create'
> /usr/GNUstep/System/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu/libobjc.so: undefined reference
> to `pthread_mutex_trylock'
> /usr/GNUstep/System/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu/libobjc.so: undefined reference
> to `pthread_setspecific'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> configure:6388: $? = 1
> configure: program exited with status 1
> configure: failed program was:
> #line 6379 "configure"
> #include "confdefs.h"
> #include "./config/config.objc.m"
> configure:6412: result: no
> configure:6420: error: The Objective-C compiler doesn't work or is not
> installed properly.

A -lpthread seems missing on the command line, which might be due to
gnustep-make not having set up his flags properly.