Re: variable declaration

From: Philippe C . D . Robert
Subject: Re: variable declaration
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 18:39:44 +0200

On Monday, October 21, 2002, at 06:17 Uhr, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
On Monday, October 21, 2002, at 04:47  pm, Philippe C.D. Robert wrote:

On Monday, October 21, 2002, at 04:12  Uhr, Nicola Pero wrote:
First let me say that I think this 'feature' is a step backwards, but now it is here and ppl will use it (esp. those working on MOSX), so I think we should have an official statement from the GNUstep maintainers
in this respect which clearly defines the way to go...

I think Adam already stated that :-)

Not really, he said:

"If you mean the guideline for GNUstep code, I'd rather not use it. Call me backward, but I still use a 2.95 compiler on a few of my systems :-)"

So this means there is a suggestion not to use the feature, but no real guideline.

OK ... I'll chip in.

Adam, Nicola, and myself all think that it's best to keep the old style of putting
variable declarations only at the start of the block.

Irrespective of personal tastes, we all think that it is a good idea to do this to
maintain the ability to build GNUstep with older compilers.

I think you can consider this an 'official' guideline. Certainly I would consider it a bug to introduce code into the GNUstep libraries which stopped them compiling
with one of the commonly used compilers.

This sounds good, no this should go into

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnustep/resources/documentation/coding- standards_6.html#SEC6

especially the last paragraph !

...:-)

Thanks,