Developer domain (was: Re: GNUstep directory layout)

From: Tim Harrison
Subject: Developer domain (was: Re: GNUstep directory layout)
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 19:23:30 -0400

Adam Fedor wrote:

Actually, if there is no Developer domain, then there really is less restraint. There is nothing that prevents anyone from adding a Developer domain (user, sysadmin, and/or package maintainer) and installing stuff there. Making the Developer domain mandatory actually reduces the flexibility that people have to put things where they want.

I personally think that a developer domain in GNUstep would be a further abstraction from the user.

A developer, by definition, is a user on the box. There's already a domain for users, called Users, where the developer resides. As GNUstep appears to be, primarily, a rapid application development environment, all domains within the GNUstep system are related to development, and the running of applications developed within the GNUstep environment. In that mode of thinking the encompassing domain is Developer, with System, Local, Network, and Users thereunder.

I also think that the development tools should be installed in /Local/Applications, as /System should be reserved for the distribution or necessary system files. Things like Gorm and ProjectCenter are not necessary for the GNUstep environment to function, so they should remain within the /Local domain. If a distribution wishes to include a copy of, say, GWorkspace, they could install it in /System/Applications.

Now, of course, the person running the GNUstep environment has the ultimate choice, if they are the administrator of the box. They could put things wherever they wished. However, for consistency, I'd suggest that developer tools be placed by default in the /Local hierarchy.

--

Tim Harrison
tim@linuxstep.org