Re: Defaults being destroyed

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Defaults being destroyed
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 08:14:55 +0100

On Tuesday, August 27, 2002, at 08:05 AM, Alexey I. Froloff wrote:

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 07:15:07AM +0100, Stefan Urbanek wrote:
[/dev/null]
It seems, that if a program does not see some domain in
database at program startup, it will not write it back. It
may be a problem in -[NSUserDefaults synchronize] I think,
but I am not sure.
-[NSUserDefaults synchronize] uses NSLock than works between
threads but not processes. Writinig defaults database is not
atomic operation.

Actually, it uses writeToFile:atomically: with the second argument
set to YES ... so it *IS* an atomic operation.

You would only need filesystem locking if the user defaults
database was split across multiple files.