Re: NSSound and gsnd

From: Enrico Sersale
Subject: Re: NSSound and gsnd
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 17:11:08 +0300 (EEST)

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Yen-Ju Chen wrote:

>   I agree that NSSound should be simple.
>   I think I should emphsize my point on gsnd.
>   Right now, gsnd only accept the whole decoded data,
>   which cause the problem for big files.
>   And since gsnd is the official sound daemon of GNUstep,
>   it would be nice that it could offer some other interfaces
>   that applications can feed the data piece by piece.
>   Do you have any plan to do that ?

I've already replied to this in the last mail ;-)

I wrote:
"... Not being a part of gui but only a tool, I think that it could be
easyly modified to accept also, for example, a NSFileHandle or a NSPipe
from which read the data to play."

Now, how and when to do this... is an other thing. Probably after the next
release of GWorkspace.

Anyway, gsnd is not a *my* program ;-) What I have written is only the
first implementation. It is a part of GNUstep and, probably, also other
people will work on it.

>   By the way, maybe libsndfile
>   (http://www.zip.com.au/~erikd/libsndfile/)
>   could be another choice as external library.
>   It is highly portable, and I think the most
>   important point is that it is still under active developement.
>   That's just a little suggestion.
>
>   Yen-Ju

Well, the choose has been libaudiofile because I've noticed that it is
already present in many linux distributions...
Anyway, I'll take a look at libsndfile.