Re: gdb for Objective C

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: gdb for Objective C
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 16:38:07 +0200

>Hi there,
>I have a problem concerning debugging og GNUstep applications. I
downloaded the gnd 5.1.1 sources and patched them with the (hopefully)
appropriate >patch. Compiling worked fine.
>When debugging my app everything works up to the point where the first
object is called (respectively the first message is sent to an object).
>From >this point the application (and thus the debugger) hangs. It seems
to make no difference which class of object it is and which method is
called. >The system load goes up to about 95% (which goes on the account
of gdb according to 'top') and the only thing I can do is kill the
debugger.
>Has anyone seen this and knows a solution? Or does at least anyone have
an idea?.

Anyone ever tried to build Apple's gdb (which supports ObjC very good) on
Linux? It is available in the Darwin CVS repository
(http://www.opensource.apple.com/cgi-bin/registered/cvs/gdb/ or usual
CVS), the only thing you have to do is to register as a developer with
apple (Online membership is free).

>If this is of interest, my GNUstep env. is the following:
>
>gnustep-base 1.3.4
>gnustep-gui 0.7.6
>gnustep-xgps 0.7.6
>gnustep-make 1.3.4