Re: NSObject className

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: NSObject className
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 09:06:28 +0100

On Friday, June 7, 2002, at 02:09 PM, Stefan Urbanek wrote:

This method is missing in NSObject:

- (NSString *) className
{
  return NSStringFromClass([self class]);
}

I'm not sure about this ... it's part of the new Apple scripting extensions,
and I decided a while back not to implement the scripting extensions:

We already have scripting solutions which are arguably better than Apples stuff. Most (though not all) of the scripting extensions are pretty much useless for
anything else.
The scripting extensions are therefore just bloat - and I'm trying to *remove*
bloat from the base library, not add it!

This does seem to be the opposite of Apples approach where, as well as adding new frameworks and some good APIs, they seem to be bloating existing APIs rather
than attempting to keep them clean/simple :-(
I guess that's proof that the NeXT software developers are not completely in
control at Apple.

If people want to use apple scripting in apps they port from MacOS-X to GNUstep, it would make sense for them to contribute the full set of apple scripting extensions as a subproject that can optionally be built as part of the base library or as a
separate scripting library.  I'd undertake to maintain such a subproject.

That being said ... the -className method does not depend on the availability of
the other extensions to be used.
Perhaps we *should* build it in to the base library even through there are already
two other methods of getting the class name -

name = NSStringFromClass([anObject class]);

name = [[anObject class] description];