ANNOUNCE: netclasses 0.92

From: Andy Ruder
Subject: ANNOUNCE: netclasses 0.92
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 17:12:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I'm pleased to announce the release of netclasses 0.92

Netclasses is an easy to use interface for creating a server in Objective C
with
GNUstep. While netclasses is not specifically designed for any one protocol,
this distribution comes with everything needed for TCP/IP. Adding new protocols

should not be difficult with the strictly protocol-based objected-oriented
design. Netclasses seamlessly integrates into NSRunLoop which means it requires

very little code outside of the actual connection object. In other words, if
you interface at all with NSRunLoop, netclasses will require no added code
besides
setting up ports. Netclasses supports multiple ports spawning multiple
connection objects. The TCP/IP system has support for initiating a connection.
Also, everything is event-based so speed is very good.

I have done a lot of testing on this, and it has worked fine for me, but, it
still remains mostly untested by the outside world.  Basically, if you want to
create a server application very easily, netclasses may be for you.  All you
have to do is create an object that conforms to a protocol, and upon a
connection to the server, that object will be created to handle the connection.

I decided not to make this a full library.  It is small and easy to add to
an application/tool.  All you have to do is include the two source files and
two header files into your project.

I do have a fully featured GNUstep mud in the works that uses these classes,
but
for now this release contains:

EchoServ : a simple tool using netclasses
Documentation : gsdoc'd documentation describing how to use netclasses
Source : the four source files you can add to your project.

Anyways, all of this is available at:

http://andyruder.tripod.com/

in the Files section.

Anyways, enjoy, tell me of any bugs, and keep gnustepping!

I'm Out,
Andy Ruder

BTW, sorry I can't provide a direct link to the source, tripod won't allow it
and I can't find anywhere else that gives me 50 megs for free with FTP access.