Re: Building in a separate build directory

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: Building in a separate build directory
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 15:31:19 -0400

Nicola Pero wrote:

[snip]

> > Not directly related to the current topic, but how about losing the
> > mandatory BUNDLE_INSTALL_DIR for bundles? I have some bundles that
> > aren't supposed to be installed (they go into an app's Resources), but
> > -make doesn't want to cope with that.
>
> I'd like this case (bundles of an application) to be automatically
> managed by gnustep-make ... but it's not yet implemented and I think
> yours is a *very* good suggestion (providing a way to disable the
> standard installation) anyway - thanks! :-)

Hmm, this may be an intractable problem. Consider subprojects; if one of an
app's subprojects is mentioned in the _RESOURCE_FILES, it _may_ not be good to
install it separately, but there may be a reason to install it somewhere else
as well. Plus there's the issue of possibly being run in a different instance
of make, e.g.:

pushd project && make install && popd
make install

I think that the ability to disable a project's installation in the makefile
is perfect, because then it can be handled easily on a case-by-case basis.

> So I added to CVS a way to totally disable the standard installation of
> a certain instance - by adding
>
>  xxx_STANDARD_INSTALL = no
>
> to your GNUmakefile (in the preamble), the default rules for
> installing/uninstalling xxx will not be executed (no matter what xxx is
> ... it works for applications, bundles, tools, everything).

[snip]

> I hope that helps with your problem. :-)

Indeed, it should help nicely.