Re: Global Defaults / look and feel

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Global Defaults / look and feel
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 16:45:08 +0200

Hi Ian,

the customization of colours in GNUstep should now be even easier. If
you create a colour list with the name "System", which already gets done
when GNUstep uses colours the first time, this will be used for the
system colours. The only problem here is that we don't have any program
to edit colour list, but it isn't to hard to write one, as all the
interfaces are there. Just have a look at the code in the function
initSystemColors() in NSColour.m, which has still some unneeded
complexity.
This new behaviour is still undocumented, as there are no tools to
support it, but the DefaultsSummary document you mentioned is included
in the GUI package. In the long run the preferences applications should
be able to set all of this.

As for the colour pickers, we just don't have any included in the
GNUstep code. I did write a few simple colour pickers some 16 months
ago, but they had a horrible user interface, as I did not manage to get
the split view to work correctly. I am still hoping that Nicola, who has
the code since than, will find some time to polish this code. You really
would not want to work with the current interface. You could try to
lobby for this, if a few hundred GNUstep users would ask Nicola for
colour pickers, I am sure they would make his top priority.

Cheers Fred