Re: problem while compiling gnustep-gui

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: problem while compiling gnustep-gui
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 16:41:02 +0100

On Sunday, May 12, 2002, at 10:23 PM, PERON Stéphane wrote:

After many gcc recompilations, and after changing ld.so.conf and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to indicate the location of objc libraries, I don't find
any other way to fix my problem.

The only difference with dennis instructions is that I have not
--enable-objc-gc in the configure options of gcc.

Is this option necessary to compile gnustep gui ?
What is exactly gc ?

gc is garbage collection ...

It's not necessary for anything in GNUstep, indeed the gui won't work with it, and the base library support for garbage collection is really alpha/pre-alpha and it waiting for someone who is actually interested in it to clean it up.

Unless you actually want to use garbage collection (and are willing to put in
some work debugging it), you should *not* enable it.