RE: Look & feel, future plans

From: Bissell, Tim
Subject: RE: Look & feel, future plans
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 11:31:17 +0100

[...]

> NeXT look & feel the initial goal, and then add interesting
> stuff from there, but there are some elements I find slightly
> irritating, like the vertical menu's for example, where Apple
> has found, IMHO, a far better solution.
> I would like to hear some of your opinions on this.

That's interesting, just yesterday I was whizzing my pointer across
thousands of pixels (on my double-headed 1600x1200, 1152x768 TiBook)
to reach the "File" menu on the Apple menu bar, and thinking how
much better was the NeXT solution of a vertical App menu summoned by
the second mouse button...
"Open Recent" does not have a keyboard shortcut, before you
suggest I memorise shortcuts ;-)

Aside from the horizontal menu bar, what extras does MacOS X have?

Aqua look-n-feel - copyright and performance issues in copying it.

Drawers - a reasonable idea

Modal Sheets replacing dialog boxes - a Bad Thing - you cannot
   drag them out of the way to see what's underneath - translucency
   does not always help.

NSDocumentController/WindowController - good stuff

Open Recent submenu for documents - good stuff

NSTabView/NSOutlineView - good stuff

- Tim