Re: GNUstep and libobjc detection

From: M. Grabert
Subject: Re: GNUstep and libobjc detection
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 14:54:15 +0100 (IST)

On Fri, 3 May 2002, Dennis Leeuw wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A couple of people mentioned it before, but I do it again. When building
> gcc from scratch in /usr/local libobjc.so is stored in it's own
> subdirectory. One way or the other GNUstep sometimes doesn't seem to
> find the library when running ./configure.

Just a comment;
AFAIK this 'bug' has been fixed in gcc-3.1 (which will be released
soon).

One quick'n'dirty workaround is just to copy libobjc.* in a directory
where it'll be found, e.g /usr/local/lib. Since you can do this only if
you have administrator rights, this workaround is not a good idea.

> [...]

I don't know any rock-solid solution, but perhaps it would be a good idea to
ask the user (during the installation of GNUstep) to copy the (found)
libobjc.so and <objc> into
$GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Libraries and .../Headers. This way you'll always
have all neccessary header files and libraries in a known place.
(If you compile libobjc separately, this is already the case)

Since this issue will be solved with the release of gcc-3.1 (hopefully),
we could enable the uncommented code if it's working for all prevoius gcc?

greetings max