Re: Font encoding vs. string encoding

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Font encoding vs. string encoding
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 01:38:22 +0200

I am normally very much in favour of configuration files, bt for this one I can see no reason. Why should anybody want to remap iso8859-1 to anything else? It could be usable to add new aliases for already defined encodings. Yes, this might come in handy. But then again are there that many aliases used for font encodings? As Serg and Richard pointed out a different name is more likely referring to a different encoding, which than again needs to be supported by GNUstep. On the other hand the current code in GSFontInfo supports exactly all the encodings on my machine, so it is easy for me to think this is enough.

Sir Raorn wrote:

Going back to my problem with mostCompatibleEcoding, I've
looked into helvR12k.pcf
(-rfx-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-p-67-koi8-r,
according to fonts.dir) and I saw, that CHARSET_ENCODING
really set to "1". This is surely font's bug.

I think best solution is not to use hardcoded mappings from
reg-enc to NSEcoding, but congurable dictionary like the
folowing:

{
  "iso8859-1" = "NSISOLatin1StringEncoding";
  "iso8859-2" = "NSISOLatin2StringEncoding";
  "big5-1" = "NSBIG5StringEncoding";
  "iso10646-1" = "NSUnicodeStringEncoding";
  "koi8-r" = "NSKOI8RStringEncoding";
}

It can be a file named for example Font.aliases and located in
$GNUSTEP_ROOT/Libraries/Resources/Fonts. And of course it can
be overriden by user's config just like DefaultKeyBindings.dict

I can take care of it this weekend. Waiting for your comments
and suggestions.