Re: gstep-make, FORCE_USER_ROOT

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: gstep-make, FORCE_USER_ROOT
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 10:44:15 +0200

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002 16:34:06 +0100
"Richard Frith-Macdonald" <richard@brainstorm.co.uk> wrote:
> > Isn't calling user_home unnecessary if I configured with
> > --with-user-root ?
>
> Well, user_home tells GNUstep.sh the value you configured.

Yepp, I know. But GNUstep.sh is itself a "configured" file and can use those
autoconf variables directly ?!
Anyway, this isn't important for me ;-)

> > Problem 2: I'm almost sure now that user_home injects a carriage return
> > (^M) into my environments variables. Is there anything known which
> > could  be the reason for this ?
> Nothing I know of.

I still have not found an explanation. Everything was fine till I installed
make-1.3.0. To make it even stranger it works in the development environment
just fine, only on our RPM build machine (which is running a pretty old Linux
in constrast to the dev-machines) it breaks.

> Why not do 'user_home user | od -c' to see exactly what user_home is
> producing?

I inserted a small loop into user_home.c which checks for ^M before printing
out the value. And indeed the value does contain the CR :-(
BTW: Sometimes the -L flags seems to be affected too. Something really strange
is going on ...

> I it *is* producing a carriage return, you need to look at how the
> FORCE_USER_ROOT
> variable is being defined when user_home is compiled.

That's the next thing I will do.

Thanks,
  Helge
--