Re: How small could you get GnuStep?

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: How small could you get GnuStep?
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 23:24:17 +0100

Thilo Ettelt wrote:

Hi folks!

I'd don't know if you know it, but Sharp has released a new PDA based on Linux called Zaurus (SL-5500 G). My question is: is it possible to squeeze GnuStep into such a PDA?

Actually we have such a device for some months now :-) SKYRiX has a special WebUI modified for the small display and we presented that together with Sharp at CeBIT ...

Anyway, the devices run Qtopia, which is a PDA version of Qt that runs on the Linux framebuffer. Since GNUstep currently depends on X it's not possible to run it on the PDA. But the Foundation parts should work just fine. Notably both, gtk+ and Qt have framebuffer based interfaces, I'm not sure whether that would be a "market" for GNUstep. It could be, if GNUstep would provide superior PDA applications. In theory this shouldn't be too difficult with DGS ?

Greetings
 Helge