Re: This NSConstantString thing

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: This NSConstantString thing
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 21:50:26 +0000

On Tuesday, March 12, 2002, at 08:59 PM, Markus Hitter wrote:

 With Apple's gcc, the compiler explicitely requires a declaration like:

@interface NXConstantString : NSString /* or NSObject */ {
  char *cString;
  unsigned int len;
}

But GNUstep declares:

@interface NXConstantString : NSString {
  union {
    unichar     *u;
    unsigned char   *c;
  } _contents;
  unsigned int  _count;
}

PS. If the Apple compiler really *does* insist on specific ivar names in some way, we need to
do something like -

@interface NXConstantString : NSString
{
#ifdef  PRIVATE_CONST_STRING
  union {
    unichar     *u;
    unsigned char   *c;
  } _contents;
  unsigned int  _count;
#else
  char *cString;
  unsigned int len;
#endif
}

Then define PRIVATE_CONST_STRING before including NSString.h in the file where NXConstantString
is actually implemented.

However, I suspect it does not insist on that at all ... and there is rather some problem with
include files or some other problem is confusing you.