Re: preflight.sh: please review <VirusChecked>

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Re: preflight.sh: please review <VirusChecked>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 21:31:34 +0100

Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> looking forward the GNUstep article in the german C't magazine and the
> echo it might have (lot's of newbees showing interest in GNUstep
> hopefully) I decided to sit down and write (or better: compile) a
> standalone script which checks your system for all the stuff required by
> GNUstep.
>
> But as a matter of fact building GNUstep is not easy for a novice. If you
> for instance miss some important libs you'll not note this until actually
> building GNUstep, what could require you to start over several times -
> very anoying and daunting.
> A configure like script that just nothing configures but just checks for
> the required libraries and tools and reports that in a easy understandable
> way to the user (maybe with a hint where to get them) would ease the build
> process very much.
>
> I called this script preflight.sh
>
> Now after some work is done I want to present it to you for review. This
> is an initial version of preflight.sh which still might contain some bugs
> (I hope on you here since I don't own every machine that script is
> targeted for.) and I think still a lot of overhead (code that can be
> removed).
>
> What have I done?
> I mainly put together tests that seemed relevant to me from various
> configure scripts (make, base, gui, xgps, xdps). Since I am not that
> experienced I might have some irrelevant tests in it while other important
> test might be missing. Here I need someone who points me to the right
> direction. (I could need a list where the various requirements are pointed
> out togehter with their relevance (e.g. required (GNUstep won't run
> without), recommended (GNUstep runs much better with this), optional (Not
> necessary but good to have))
>
> Don't be afraid of the script. It doesn't write anything to your hard
> disk.
>
> Thanks for your help (or should I say co-work?), Lars

Nice start! Just checked my system and the script says:

checking for ffi.h... no
checking for forwarding callback in runtime... no
checking for callback.h... yes
checking FFI library usage... none
preflight.sh: warning: No ffcall interface library found

        ! GNUstep requires the ffcall library to do invocations and DO
        ! Make sure this library is installed (see installation instructions)

        ! Otherwise DO will not be compatible with other systems

While my system says:

bash-2.05a$ dpkg -l| grep ffcall
ii  libffcall1     1.8-4.1        Foreign Function Call Libraries
ii  libffcall1-dev 1.8-4.1        Foreign Function Call Libraries
(development

Still haven't found out why, but will come back as soon as I know.

Dennis