Re: ScrollWheel, Xdps and NSEvent modification

From: Pierre-Yves Rivaille
Subject: Re: ScrollWheel, Xdps and NSEvent modification
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 11:56:06 +0100

Well, if it's MacOS-X bloat, I guess we need to add it :-)

MacOS-X bloat is holy bloat ...

But we should not break the old code in order to add the new stuff - that's
my
main concern.
Basically, to implement the MacOS-X documentaed API we need to have these
deltas AND eventNumber,
clickCount, pressure. We can't remove some values to make way for the new,
we
have to increase
the size of the NSEvent object.

I did it that way because that's the way it's done in MOSX, delta* ivars do replace
eventNumber, clickCount and pressure ivars.
I will check if calling eventNumber, clickCount or pressure methods on a scrollwheel event leads to an exception on MOSX (it's an exception or a default value, as there is no more ivars storing the values).

At some time in the future I expect to see true 3d pointer devices become
available
(ie things where a movement in the third dimension is as natural and easy as
movement in the normal plane - something I've not seen outside rather
expensive
virtual reality systems) and I we obviously do need an API revision for that
-
though perhaps the deltas extension would be sufficient for simple
applications.

deltaZ might also be useful because those IBM trackpoints are also sensitive to pressure (at least the one on my thinkpad, so I guess the ones on the mice are too). However it will only lead to deltaZ>0 ...