Re: import vs include Re: Porting autogsdoc to OSX

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: import vs include Re: Porting autogsdoc to OSX
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 12:17:45 +0100 (CET)

> From: Peter Cooper <comrade@obverse.com.au>
> Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 12:11:09 +0100
>
> > Ah ... but we are trying to be compatible, not just use the same API.
> > As much as possible we want
> > to avoid having to locate and link additional frameworks to do what on
> > MacOS is all in one.
> > Not that there is anything particularly hard about linking in extra
> > libraries, but why confuse
> > developers by providing frameworks which have the same API but different
> > functionality?
>
> It certainly makes development using, say, Cocoa development docs or mass-
> market books easier if APIs live in similar places ;)
>
> On encouraging portable software, to assist people building cross-platform
> apps, eg GNUstep -> OpenStep or GNUstep -> Cocoa it might be useful to have
> some sort of source audit tool for portability.
>
> I suspect that a 100%-correct tool will be impossible to build, but
> something that can flag most compatibility issues during development might
> lead to more portable code being written. After all, not all developers
> have access to the different platforms during the critical early
> implementation phases.

What about just compiling with -DSTRICT_OPENSTEP?

Well,  last  time  I  checked,  it  had  problems...  This  should  be
addressed; I'll test again with a fresh cvs update.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__              (o_ Software patents are endangering
()  ASCII ribbon against html email //\ the computer industry all around