GNUstep.sh

From: M. Grabert
Subject: GNUstep.sh
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 19:57:06 +0000 (GMT)

Hi all,

I'm running Debian GNU/Linux (woody) and I'm
using GNUstep (CVS of today, 19:00 UTC) with gcc-3.0.4.
I have following problem (I've also seen this in
the CVS of last month):

$GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT is defined as "~$LOGNAME/GNUstep"

in $GNUSTEP_ROOT/System/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh and .csh

I did alot of bash/tcsh/sh/ksh programming in former times
(on several Unix flavours), and all I can tell is that this isn't
very portable.

Well, ~ won't be expanded by all shells.
Besides that if $HOME isn't defined, ~ won't expand either (at
least on most systems).
I know that there may be some systems that don't use $HOME,
but these are very rare.
Moreover on some rare systems even $USER/$LOGNAME isn't defined
but $HOME is.
So it would be better (IMHO) to use $HOME instead of $LOGNAME

$GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT=${HOME}/GNUstep

which will work at least on more systems.

IMHO this is not a "theoretical" problem since this happens to
me all the time with a standard configuration (using bash-2.05a as sh).

greetings max

PS: since I don't know whether this is also considered as a
bug by the GNUstep developers, or whether this was made on purpose,
I didn't send it to bug-gnustep@.