Re: Good news from FOSDEM: article in the c't magazin

From: Stefan Boehringer
Subject: Re: Good news from FOSDEM: article in the c't magazin
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 23:36:55 +0100

Hello all,

thanks for all the feedback in private mail.

I'm first asked to send in a concept for the article. Anyone is invited to comment (not only the Germans).

My plan is as follows:

1. Start with a brief historical summary.

This is to catch those from the OpenStep/MacOSX camp. This should be just one very brief paragraph.

2. Briefly describe the building blocks of GNUstep.

There should be a diagram and it should be stressed that GNUstep is ment to be highly portable and that base has been ported to any major platform.

3. Describe Objective-C

State the similarities between Java and Objective-C (to make it interesting to the Java guys). Point out introspection and show an example of DO in a separate Text box to stress the strength of the Objective-C runtime (Adam, could you please send me your code snippets from the FOSDEM presentation?).

4. Present GNUstep as a full environment offering usability advantages.

Here some of the recent developments should be described. I plan to include graphics showing GNUstep applications side by side to OPENSTEP equivalents (ProjectCenter, Mail.app and EasyDiff), which should be enough to demonstrate the maturity of the frameworks. In this section the commercial potential should be mentioned, listing companies who are willing to be listed perhaps in another separate text box (Helge already offered to be listed, Richard?, David?). Perhaps a one line description of the product could help to demonstrate that the frameworks are industrial strength.

This is the plan so far. If you have suggestions what could be improved or what should be added, please let me know.
Best wishes,

	Stefan