GNUstep Weekly Editorial 21-02-2002

From: root
Subject: GNUstep Weekly Editorial 21-02-2002
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:25:26 +0100

                          Editorial 21 February 2002

   After a month of no editorials I am back. Since I missed the FOSDEM
   event, nothing about that in this editorial, but I hope everybody who
   was there had a great time.

   To my surprise things are going really fast in the GNUstep world. In a
   month time more applications have appeared then ever before. This
   shows the stability and the easy of use of the GNUstep environment.

   The development applications GORM and ProjectCenter are rapidly
   maturing and with helper applications like CodeEditor and EasyDiff,
   creating applications becomes a breeze.

   Next to that we see the evolution of the desktop applications with
   ofcourse GWorkspace and GNUMail.app, but also with the beautiful
   Preferences.app, Affiche, ImageViewer and the newsreader LuserNET.app

   A month away in such a rapidly growing environment would result in a
   hughe overview of things that changed in the GNUstep code and stuff
   discussed on the mailinglists. So for this week the mailinglist
   discussion is skipped and we concentrate on the code changes that
   really make a difference.

   Please also visit http://www.gnustep.net/ for a complete overview in
   the news section about the new versions available of your favorite
   GNUstep application.

Code changes

   Nicola Pero rewrote the internals of gnustep-make to greatly simplify
   this package.

   Richard Frith-Macdonald, Nicola Pero, Michael Hanni and a lot of patch
   senders greatly improved the code of gnustep-base. One important note
   on the documentation of GNUstep-base, by Richard:
   Documentation/manual: New directory containing Objective-C and
   GNUstep-base programming manual/tutorial produced at Brainstorm. The
   intention was to produce a pretty complete manual and then release it,
   but we ran out of funding, so I'm releasing the work to date.
   Anyone willing to contribute to this?

   The above group of people including Adam Fedor, Fred Kiefer, and
   Pierre-Yves Rivaille improved and bug squashed gnustep-gui after the
   0.7.5 release on Januari 30th. With notable changes to the NSTable and
   NSText classes.

   We now have XIM support in xgps and xdps, thanks to Adam Fedor.

   Since Januari Manuel Guesdon added a some important new code to the
   CVS repository of GSWeb.

   Adam Fedor and Pierre-Yves Rivaille hacked their way through GORM, the
   interface modeler, while Philippe C.D. Robert made an enormous amount
   of changes to ProjectCenter with the most notable difference the added
   Editor.

   That's it for this week.

   Happy Stepping,
   Dennis Leeuw