Re: NSMenu* drawing efficency patch (try 1)

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: NSMenu* drawing efficency patch (try 1)
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 08:55:49 +0000

On Monday, February 11, 2002, at 05:56 AM, Michael Hanni wrote:

Howdy,

This small patch makes NSMenu* much more snappy on my PowerBook 3400c. It fixes a FIXME that has existed in the code for awhile and also saves the two
most used drawing selectors in the menu code.

Q. How much difference does caching the method implementations make, and how
much difference does the other fix make?

I ask because the method caching would break subclassing of the NSMenuItemCell class. That could be worked around by caching methods on a per-instance basis (or via a pointer to a per-class table in each instance), but it's nicer if we
don't need to do it at all.