Re: Preferences.app

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Preferences.app
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 16:47:43 +0100 (CET)

> From: Jeff Teunissen <deek@d2dc.net>
>
> Those of you on the IRC channel (#GNUstep, irc.openprojects.net) know that
> I've been working on a GNUstep version of NeXT's Preferences.app -- what I
> want to know is, what modules are needed?

You've got the list of OPENSTEP  4.2 preference modules on my system I
sent  to the list  some times  ago, don't  you?  Ok,  I'll put  a copy
thereafter.

> So far, I've only got two .prefs modules done, and the app to use them, in a
> releasable state.
>
> The first is a module to manage the application's internal preferences
> (choosing which directories to load prefs modules from).
>
> The second is a .prefs reimplementation of Nicola's KeyPrefs.app.
>
> both modules, and the app that loads and uses them, work well and are (I
> think) releasable.
>
> A couple of ideas I've had:
>
> * A fonts module, for choosing the system font, whether or not to use
> antialiasing, etc.
>
> * A colors module, for setting the various NSColor defaults.
>
> * A Time/Date module, for setting the date/time (if root) and the time zone.
>
> I'd post a URL, but I don't have a web site for it to go on yet, and my cable
> modem couldn't take the strain. :)

Of course, not all the NeXT modules are necessarily needed on GNUstep,
and we may  need other modules. I  have on my NeXT a  couple of custom
modules (sources can be found on peanuts)

============================= ============= ===================================
Title                         Icon          Data items
============================= ============= ===================================

McFilter Preferences          [McFilter]    (GIF & JPEG imaget filter services)
  ** custom

DefaultsSystem Preferences    [pen on NeXT] (General Default editor)
  ** custom

Localization Preferences      [flags]       (Keyboard, Language, Measurement
                                             Units, Paper Size)

Date & Time Preferences       [wallclock]   (TimeZone, 24h display, NTP
                                             Synchronization or date & time
                                             setting depending on system time
                                             source, kind of clock to display
                                             in the application miniwindow
                                             (dock))
  ** The Preferences App miniwindow contains the clock, and is usually docked.

Password Preferences          [lock & key]  (User's Password Setting)

Keyboard Preferences          [keyboad]     (Initial Key Repeat, Key Repeat
                                             Rate, display keyaboad panel
                                             with various fonts)

Mouse Preferences             [mouse]       (Mouse Speed, Double-Click Delay,
                                             Menu Button (enabled, disabled),
                                             Left or Right Setting)

Display Preference            [display]     (Automatic Screen Dimer (delay),
                                             Brightness (hardware),
                                             Background Color)
  ** stuff generally not existing, or done by WindowMaker
  ** at least the  background could be set by this  module. Do we have
     relevant hooks in the back-end?

Sound Preferences             [sound speaker] (Volume, Mute, Output Balance,
                                              Input Gain, Input Balance,
                                              System Beep (list), Audio or
                                              Visual System Beep, Use Voice
                                              Alerts flag)

Font Preference              [F character]  (Application Font, Fixed Pitch
                                            Font, System Font, Bold System Font)

Menu Preferences             [menu window]  (Menu Location (graphic desktop),
                                             Command-Key Equivalents (Add,
                                             Remove, equivalent list, Command
                                             intput text, Key Equivalent
                                             input text)

Services Preferences         [menu window on a plate hold by hand]
                                            (Browser of services (application,
                                             item), Enable or Disable)

Expert Preferences           [unix grade]   (File-Creation Mask
                                             ((Owner,Group,Others)
                                                       x(Read,Write,Execute)),
                                             File System Option: Unix Expert
                                             (whether to honor .hidden or not),
                                             Large File System (whether to
                                             use lazy loading in file browsers),
                                             Security Options: Private Window
                                             Server, Private Sound Server,
                                             Protected EPS Display)

Startup Preferences          [start symbol (circle with vertical bar inside)]
                                            (Date and time of next power on,
                                            Turn computer on: After power off
                                            or failure, At specified time)
  ** generally not available, but some PC motherboards may be capable

============================= ============= ===================================

In addition, for  furture reference, here is the  list of System tools
found in OPENSTEP (in /NextAdmins and /NextApps):

System administration tools (/NextAdmin)

  BuildDisk.app             (format disks and copy installations)

  Configure.app             (device driver configuration)

  HostManager.app           (netinfo: host data, ntp configuration,
                             automatic host configuration (DHCP))

  Installer.app             (package installation/removal)

  InstallTablet.app         (tablet driver installation application)

  NetInfoManager.app        (general netinfo database editor)

  NetInstallHelper.app      (OS installation over the net to several clients)

  NetWareManager.app        (NetWare administration)

  NFSManager.app            (NFS administration (import, exports))

  SimpleNetworkStarter.app  ((Use the network, but don't share administrative
                            data, Access shared network resources as a
                            client (netinfo), Provide the services
                            specified below), Host name, IP address,
                            Router (none, dynamic, ip adddress),
                            netmask (default, automatic, mask),
                            broadcast address (default, address), NIS
                            domain name,  Limit access to local
                            NetInfo data to the local network, NetInfo
                            2-level NetINfo hierarchy, Create a clone
                            of a master on another network master
                            address, Services: Maintain the master
                            copy of network administrative data. Limit
                            access to administrative data to the local
                            network. Automatically add new NEXTSTEP
                            systems to the network. Require a password
                            to add new computers to the network. Run
                            network time server software on this
                            computer. Maintain the network's email
                            server. Support SNMP network
                            management. Directories exported to the
                            network (Home for network users, Shared
                            applications, Shared data))

  UserManager.app          (netinfo: users and groups, bulk create, bulk delete)

System administration tools (/NextApps)

  Preferences.app          (setting preferences)

  PrintManager.app         (editing printer & fax, queue management)

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__              (o_ Software patents are endangering
()  ASCII ribbon against html email //\ the computer industry all around