Re: key masks

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: key masks
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 22:52:09 +0100

>On 2002-02-05 19:59:54 +0100 Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
><Lars.Sonchocky-Helldorf@bbdo-interone.de> wrote:
>
>> >The problem is that nextstep/openstep mandates three basic modifiers -
>> >
>> >Control, Alternate, Command.
>> >
>> >but on a PC keyboard, there is no Command key, so we have to usurpate
>> some
>> >other PC key and bound it to Command :-)
>>
>> What about the "Windows" Key?
>
>Seems a good idea... but what about those who luckily managed to stay
entirely
>windoze key free?
>
>The ALT key as Command is OK, as shortcuts are reached very fast (inded
faster
>than using control).
>What about having the Alternate modifier activated when the user presses
ALT
>and Control simultaneously (for those of us who don't have windoze keys)?

The technical supperior solution would be to have that user configurable
(or is it already?).
Why?
For instance, the alt and command key on a Mac keyboard have swapped
positions in comparison to the windows and alt key on a PC keyboard. If
you work alternating on a Mac and a PC (running GNUstep of course) this is
VERY annoying.
Another reason is that combinations of modifiers are already taken (for
instance in Mac OS X Finder: command-alt, track mouse in window -> hand
tool: grabs the window content and scrolls it with the move of the mouse,
if you already track something (file or folder) with the mouse and hold
down command-alt while dropping the item, an alias (comparable to a
symlink) of it will be created, command-alt-c is the shortcut for Go
to>Computer (set the directory of the top window to /Volumes/). Other
Applications have other funtions on modifier-combinations). Since
everybody has its own needs and habbits, user configurability would be the
best solution.

>.. just a quick idea.
>
>- Martin

Lars