Re: Objective C++ Status

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: Objective C++ Status
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 20:47:34 +0100

>Joe Graham wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>> Does anyone know the status of the Objective C calling C++ integration
in
>> the Objective C compiler which I think is called "Objective C++".
Basically
>> does any version of the gcc Objective C compiler currently support
invoking
>> C++ code.  Thank you very much.
>
>The hacked version of GCC 2.95.2 that Apple currently includes with
>the development tools for Mac OS X includes ObjC++, and we're close
>to having it working for the GCC 3.x that we expect to use in future
>OS X releases.  I don't know of any other GCC versions for which it's
>available.
>
>Apple has offered to contribute Objective-C++ to a future version
>of FSF GCC, but the GCC Steering Committee, whose charter includes
>decisions about whether to include new languages in FSF GCC, has
>yet to say whether or not they would accept it.  The Steering
>Committee and its members are described at gcc.gnu.org; if you
>want ObjC++ in FSF GCC, please lobby them, either as a group
>or individually.

What about an "official" GNUstep inquiry on this topic? I think we could
need ObjC++ a lot (many apps for Cocoa will use ObjC++ in the future, if
we want to port them, we will need ObjC++), but I think it is better if
GNUstep as organisation lobbies than just "unimportant" individuals.

>Stan

Lars