Re: Hi, I'm new

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Hi, I'm new
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 21:01:52 -0700

Thilo Ettelt wrote:

Hi, I'm new to this list and will give a short summary.

I'm an OS-X User, who is very interested in Gnustep. I'm currently trying to figure out how Cocoa/Obj-C works and I'm making progress. :)

My first questions to this lists are:

- where do I exactly get detailed info on how to install Gnustep on whatever system?

Read the GNUstep-HOWTO in the gnustep-make package, or try

http://www.made-it.com/GNUstep/Build/

    - is it possible to put Gnustep on XDarwin the X11 front end for OS-X?

No. The current problem is that the gnustep-base library has not been ported. Part of the problem is the compiler on the current release has bugs affecting __builtin functions. This has been disabled (which will probably cause several things not to work). Additionally there seem to be some other problems (memory?, alignment? I'm not really sure) that cause prgrams to crash. AFAIK I'm the only one doing fixes on it now, and I don't plan to do any more work until I can find a commited Darwin developer who can help out.

--
Adam Fedor, Digital Optics            | I'm glad I hate spinach, because
http://www.doc.com                    | if I didn't, I'd eat it, and you