GNUmake and alternate compilers

From: Miguel Morales
Subject: GNUmake and alternate compilers
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 09:26:46 -0800

Dear all,

I would like to force gnumake to use an alternate compiler from the default gcc. In particular I'm working on linux servers with both gcc2.96 and gcc3.02 installed, but gcc uses 2.96 whereas gcc3 is linked to 3.02, so I'd like to tell the make system to use gcc3. So how do I do this for my own programs, and is there also a way to set it up early on for compiling the base libraries?

Thanks for your help,

-Miguel