Re: Swing Look & Feel

From: Gregory Martin Pfeil
Subject: Re: Swing Look & Feel
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 21:41:43 -0600

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 05:34:11PM -0800, Chris B. Vetter wrote:
> > I've been thinking about making a Java Swing Look & Feel that mimics
> > the GnuStep look.
>
> Before you start, you may want to take a look at
>
>       http://nicestep.sourceforge.net/

Yeah, I looked there, but it doesn't seem to be what I want. Maybe I
just missed a section somewhere.

That appears to be an API for Java programmers to use in order to make
*Step looking apps. It seems to be meant as an _alternative_ to Swing.

I just want to make a Java PLAF (Pluggable Look And Feel -- like a
theme) that will make extant Swing apps look like (or, at least a lot
more like) GnuStep apps.

At worst, it'll end up being a hard-coded look, but I hope that I can
get it to plug into the xdps/xgps backends to change as (if) they do.

The standard PLAFs are Metal, Motif (for Solaris/CDE), Windows, Mac
OS, and Aqua. The last three are only available on the platforms they
were designed to look like. There's a rumor of one being developed
that will use any GTK+ theme (probably being developed by Sun because
of their recent switch from CDE to Gnome).

A few others have been created by enterprising individuals, but most
of them are either hokey or commercial.

So, expanding on the original intent of the standard ones (trying to
blend in with the surrounding environment), it seemed fitting that
there should be a GNUstep one.