Re: Slight problem w/ fonts

From: Chris Hanson
Subject: Re: Slight problem w/ fonts
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 21:18:39 -0600

At 10:38 PM +0000 1/7/02, Nicola Pero wrote:
As a user and/or as an application writer, I don't understand how this is
supposed to work.

We draw lines and rectangles and fill colors using pixels.

Actually, as a Macintosh application developer I've always assumed that I was drawing in points, and that it was the machine's job to convert that to device space.

For a long time graphical human interfaces have made the simplifying assumption that the device matrix is the identity matrix (i.e. one point is one pixel) even though that wasn't true for print. They did this for speed and because display density wasn't high enough for it to matter. Now that many workstations have 120dpi displays, and 200dpi displays are on the market, it makes sense to revisit this decision.

  -- Chris

--
Chris Hanson                      |  Email: cmh@bDistributed.com
bDistributed.com, Inc.            |  Phone: +1-847-372-3955