Re: Slight problem w/ fonts

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: Slight problem w/ fonts
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 17:06:17 -0500

Fred Kiefer wrote:

[snip]

> Thank you Jeff for the good explanation of pixel and point sizes. So now
> all of us should accept that the changes I did make here were needed and
> mostly correct. But what is causing the new strange behaviour is not
> just simply a bug somewhere in the way we compute sizes for strings. Our
> problem is that in GNUstep we don't care about the transition from an
> abstract font to the screen display.
> I think that for the NSFont object all the measures should be in points,
> as this is the natural measure for a font. But what measures should
> methods like [NSString sizeWithAttributes:] and [NSAttributesString
> size] return?

Personally, I think that all display objects should deal in points as the
default coordinate system. Of course, that would partially eliminate things
like the use of bitmaps for UI elements and icons. e.g. I might want a button
that's 0.2 inches tall (14.4 points) and 0.75 inches (54 points) wide, because
that's how big its label is. There are other problems of course (how thick is
that line? How do you make a grid look right if the scaling isn't quite
even?).

If the GNUstep developers want a vector-based display system like NeXTstep
mostly was, or like OS X apparently is, some kind of absolute coordinate
system like points would be rather nice. However, without DPS, X doesn't like
that very much.

[snip]