Re: GS Extensions and retain count problem

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GS Extensions and retain count problem
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 17:42:20 +0000

On Friday, December 28, 2001, at 04:17 PM, Manuel Guesdon wrote:

Hi,

I had some trouble with GC* objects and found that after +alloc -init, their retain count seems strange.
I've attached a small program to test this.

doing a +new on  the following objects set a retainCount of 1:
NSObject
NSArray
NSMutableDictionary
GCObject

But for the following, it set a retain count of 0:
GCMutableArray
GCArray
GCDictionary

I can't see any reason in the code.
If you run the test app, do you get the same result (with debug=yes) ?
If yes, is it 'normal' ?

As the 'GC' classes are garbage collecting things, I would hardly expect their retain counts to make any sort of obvious sense. You need to look at the GCObject source.