FYI: Commercial development

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: FYI: Commercial development
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 11:09:58 +0100

Hi all,

A couple of weeks ago there was a note about paying developers, and the
ideas behind Open Source, which was something that sticked with me.

Since then a lot has changed for me. The company I worked for went
broke, and in about a month or so I have a lot of free time to spend. So
I had the idea of setting up my own company and continue the work I was
already doing.

As a starting company one doesn't have much money to spend, and looking
and the available Free and Open Source software, I saw a lot of the
starters tools are missing. In fact a lot of essential business software
is missing.

Then I remembered that there are a lot of companies on this list. And I
have no idea about the size of them, but there are probably companies
out there that have the same problem as I do, not enough programmers,
not enough money and a whish-list of software they "need" to get there
business done.

So now the solution: If we all join forces, we might be able to pay
programmers to get certain pieces of software made. This also solves the
food for code problem.

To see if his is a viable solution, I would like you all to ask you're
bosses to see what kind of software they want. Do they have specific
programs, or do they just want the GNUstep project to get to it's 1.0.0
release?
How much money are they willing to spend, etc.

Then I can build a list of projects and see how much money is available
per project, and look for (a) developer(s) who want to pick up that
project.

Let me know what you think of it. And tell me what kind of license is
digestable for your company to be used (BTW don't start a flame war over
this, this is just gathering information).

Thanks in advance,

Dennis Leeuw