Re: PSWrap problems

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: PSWrap problems
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 12:34:03 +0000 (GMT)

hi jay - thanks for reporting your troubles - the .c and .h files were not
removed on `make clean' - definitely a bug - I fixed it on CVS - thanks!
(of course, let me know if it doesn't work for you)

About compiling, on my system if I set *_PSWRAP_FILES, .c and .h files are
generated, and the .c files are then compiled and linked into the
resulting application _ all works out of the box.

.h files are not installed by default and I think this is correct - some
header files are private, other ones are public - normally you don't want
to unconditionally install all .h files for your framework - only the ones
to be used by external parties - so if you want your pswrap-generated .h
file to be installed, you need to list it manually in the HEADER_FILES.
If you don't want them to be installed, don't list them there instead - I
think it would be a bad idea for gnustep-make to install all headers by
default.

If on your system PSWRAP_FILES doesn't seem to work, please

(1) if you don't already, please try again using the latest gnustep-make
[1.2.0 - better if from CVS]

(2) send the GNUmakefile which doesn't work, with enough instructions so
that the bug/problem can be reproduced/seen, to bug-gnustep@gnu.org.
Once I can reproduce/see exactly what the problem is. I'll fix the system
makefiles for you if the problem appears to be in gnustep-make, and try to
help you fix your makefiles if the problem appears to be there.

Here is the example I'm using to check that *_PSWRAP_FILES work -

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make

APP_NAME = test
test_OBJC_FILES = test.m
test_PSWRAP_FILES = ciao.psw

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/application.make

when I type 'make', the ciao.psw file got converted into ciao.c and
ciao.h; ciao.c is compiled and linked into the resulting application.

Let me know if you've got problems with this - but I need to know exactly
what is not working to fix it.

In general, .psw are believed to be working (.java/.class *definitely* are
working).

> When you define the variable, (APP_NAME)_PSWRAP_FILES it generates the
> .c and .h files in the main source directory.
> so if APP_NAME_PSWRAP_FILES = Wraps.psw then in APP_NAME there will be:
>       Wraps.h
>       Wraps.c
>       Wraps.psw
> The .c will not be compiled.
> The .h will not be copied with other header files in the case of a
> framework.
> These two things can be battled by putting the resulting .h and .c files
> in you APP_NAME_HEADER_FILES and APP_NAME_OBJC_FILES.
>
> Another problem is that the resulting .c and .h files will not be
> deleted on a 'clean' or 'distclean'.

thanks again for this - great bug report.