Re: Compatibility with OSX

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Compatibility with OSX
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 22:38:51 +0000

On Friday, November 23, 2001, at 06:20 PM, Ludovic Marcotte wrote:

Also, if you, by accident, set a nil value you program crashes.
Personally I think a GUI library should not do this.
nil is perfectly fine and GNUstep should try to cope with it
as gracefully as it can.  I rather have an empty field
than a crash.

The problem is that your program will crash under OS-X.

So, when you'll port your app to OS-X (if you do), you'll end up trying
to find where your do your setValue: nil and you'll fix that in your
code to prevent this. That's awkward because you could have seen that
problem right away under GNUstep.

We want OS-X compatibility and this change is to make porting your app
easier to OS-X.

That's actually a very poor justification for it ... we have debug logging macros/functions to deal with this sort of case. In the past our principle
has been to try our best to keep the program running, but when built for
debug, generate warnings when there are MacOS-X incompatibilities like this.

Generating a warning message is just as useful for maintaining compatibility as crashing is, but carrying on running is much better for people who do not
care about porting to MacOS-X