Re: Need help porting old (very old) NeXT app

From: Philippe C.D. Robert
Subject: Re: Need help porting old (very old) NeXT app
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 21:16:35 +0100

On Wed, 21 Nov 2001 13:39:15 +0000
Damian Steer <D.M.Steer@lse.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm considering porting a very old (but historically interesting) NeXT
> app to GNUStep. I've got the source code but it's pretty baffling (I've
> only ever used GNUStep and MacOS X). The odd bits are:
>
> 1) Classes start 'NX' not 'NS'

This is NEXTSTEP code, not OpenStep code, so you have to convert it first to
OpenStep.

> 2) No project builder files at all - just IB.
>
> This is from '91. I tried nib2gmodel on Mac OS X 10.1 (they need to
> clean up that naming ;-) but it reported the nib file as unsupported
> '2.x'. I'm guessing that IB used to maintain projects, and hoping that
> s/NX/NS/ will be sufficient to get most of the app working.

Nope, first convert the source base - some of the work can be done using
scripts (available on OPENSTEP 4.x), some of it has to be done manually.

> Any old NeXT types have any tips? Are there any other sources of
> information for prehistoric NeXT?

I dunno if the NeXTanswers are still online (enterprise.apple.com seems to have
gone), maybe they are mirrored somewhere? Also have a look at the docu which
comes with OPENSTEP to learn more about the differences between NS3. x code and
OpenStep code.

-Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert